Sunday, June 3, 2007

Letter from the Editor

Notable and Newsworthy: VIP Profiles Issue 20

This week we bring you a little "VIP Variety Pack." We find that moving away from the norm every once in a while keeps us all fresh.

We are excited to feature Mark Laurrie, an established, well-rounded, and caring Principal at Niagara Falls High School. This "VIP Profile" is brought to you by Team VIP member Michael Reiff. We commend him on his efforts.

Also, for your reading pleasure, we bring you the "VIP Profiles Reading List." This is a collection of all the books recommended in the first twenty issues of our e-Newsletter, both by "the VIP guys" and our VIPs. We hope some of these readings end up on your summer reading list.

Relax and enjoy!

Joseph
SUNY Geneseo '08
Notable and Newsworthy

Life and Times of JWN

Last week was my first holiday shortened week in corporate America. Thanks to a little Memorial Day fun on Monday, the week could not have started any better, with the exception of maybe a Red Wing's victory. Nonetheless, the Haskell's chicken was delicious, and the times were enjoyable.

In the corporate world, I did a significant amount of reading and mutual fund analysis. Some of that reading was from the Exeter Institute, a financial education program Manning and Napier (M & N) offers to its employees. The five "modules" I have completed have been helpful, as they have taught me a few more things about the financial industry and how M & N views things.

Now, I would like to introduce you to a new book that I have been reading by an individual who has become one of my favorite self-help / sales / leadership authors, Jeffrey Gitomer. His newest book, The Little Green Book of Getting Your Way has been an incredible read about "how to speak, write, present, persuade, influence, and sell your point of view to others."

One of my passions is public speaking. At some point in time I would like to travel and speak to audiences far and wide. This book has provided me with some more tools to improve my skill set on this front. I have a strong conviction that as I continue to challenge myself and improve my abilities, they will be recognized and more speaking engagements will come my way. It is only a matter of time and I am excited for those days.

A shameless plug: If you would like me to speak in front of you, your people, or organization, I have much to offer and I am available. Just get in touch. We can bring Ben along too if you want...

Always my best, ~Joseph