Monday, August 13, 2007

Letter from the Editor

Life and Times of JWN
JoeRunning
"The Go-Zone"

I would like to briefly discuss the concept of getting in "the zone" this week. It is an essential component of finding "success" in your pursuits in life. If you can put yourself in this trance of focused energy, your efforts will be more fruitful and fulfilling.

This week a friend of mine sparked an intense session of "zone time" with some of her words. When I get in this state I do my best to not let its power slip through my fingers. In fact, I ended up writing for hours, finally going to bed in the wee hours of the morning. This particular evening was what I dubbed a "Really Think" moment, a concept which I will feature in more depth in a later issue.

NOTABLE: There are multiple "zones." The most common is the "Go-Zone," and the one I will discuss today. It is characterized by a focused, positive energy directed towards your current activity. The other zone is the far less common and deeply reflective, "Really Think" moment, where the world takes on an incredible vividness. Both zones have meaningful places in our lives.

"So Joseph, how do I get into the "Go-Zone?"

When I have a particular task to accomplish, I tap into the "Go-Zone" by immersing myself in its content. For example, if I have a series of important phone calls to make, I will first list who needs to be phoned and the purpose of the call. This includes notes or homework I've done on each person, as described in my article, "Make a POWERFUL Impression."

Then, I visualize how each conversation will go in a very positive way. This step is essential because it gets you ready to succeed. If you do not truly believe it will happen, then it won't happen.

QUOTABLE: "If you think you can do a thing or you think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford

Then, once I've put myself into the right mind set with these initial steps, I just do it! I make the calls and I make it happen.

The "Go-Zone" can be tapped into for every task you embark on. Let's review the process:

1) Immerse yourself in the content. Know what you need to accomplish, how you're going to get there, and why.

2) Prepare yourself for success by visualizing a positive outcome.

3) "Just do it!" Make it happen for yourself.

If you prepare yourself for important activities by getting into this mind set, your tasks will be accomplished quicker and with higher quality.

It all comes back to my philosophy on "being present," whether that is during a conversation or completing a task. When you're there, be there!

Check back for more insight on "Really Think" moments, the "Go-Zone's" deeply reflective cousin. "Really Think" moments create the concepts and ideas that change the world.

Always my best, ~JWN